much will it cost to register my vehicle?
1) How much will it cost to register my vehicle?
d. Sales tax will be collected in the tag office if the vehicle was bought from an individual or purchased out of state. The sales tax rate varies by County.
e. Contact your County Treasurer for an closer estimate of costs.back to top
2) I'm moving to Kansas from another state, how do I register my vehicle?
a. If you have the title, you need to bring in the title, the vehicle and the proof of insurance. The person who is named on the title is the only one who can register the vehicle. If two names are on the title, i.e., Mary and/or Tom Jones only one person has to come in. If it is Mary and Tom Jones, Mary/Tom Jones or MaryTom Jones both parties need to come in.
All vehicles coming in from out of state need to have a VIN inspection before registering the vehicle.
b. If you do not have your title because the lienholder of that state keeps it until the vehicle is paid for, you will need to call them and have them fax a copy of the title to the your County Treasurer's Office.
Sometimes the state you're coming from will request something in writing before releasing a copy of the title. In that case you could contact your County Treasurer and request the letter. Please have your payment book available as we will need the information on the vehicle including VIN#.
With your faxed copy you will then be able to get your vehicle inspected at a VIN inspection station.back to top
3) What papers will I need to title my vehicle?
4) What are your office hours?
County Treasurers Association hours are from 8:00 am - 5:00 pm,
Monday - Friday.
5) Where are you located and which office can I go to?
6) Where can I get my vehicle inspected, and what are their hours?
back to top
Take your owner's registration or tag number and proof of insurance to the tag office and they will be able to process your renewal.back to top
8) How can I get a refund and what forms will I need?
Bring in tag, current owner's registration, Social Security number (personal vehicle) or Federal ID# (business or lease vehicles) and name and address of whom vehicle was sold to. Refunds are calculated from the month they are received, not the date sold.
9) Where can I get a power of attorney / lienholder consent / bill of sale, etc.
Bill of Sale; Power of Attorney, Affidavit of Relationship, Dealers, Affidavit to a Fact, Duplicate Title, Handicap Placard and Tag, Personal Property Affidavits, Lienhold Consent, Request for Public Records, Sellers Notification of Sale are all available to download from our web site Adobe Acrobat ® Reader is required to view these forms.
10) My tag was stolen, what do I do?
You will need to report the plate stolen to the police or sheriffs office. Bring the tag number and proof of insurance and we will replace the tag for $3.00. (The price at a substation would possibly have an additional transaction fee.)back to top
11) Personalized tags.
The price for personalized tags will be $44.00 for both plates. NOTE both plates (front & back ) do not have to be put on the vehicle, the owner has the option to display the back plate only.back to top
12) Delinquent Taxes
13) How can I pay?
Acceptable forms of payment are cash, check, money order, cashiers check. Credit and Debit cards accepted varies by County.back to top
14) Where can I go to renew my handicapped placard? Where do I mail it?
15) Do my tags expire on the first day or the last day of the month?
16) Why aren't my tags good for a full year?
17) I am a military dependent, shouldn't I be exempted from property tax?
18) Can I get an extension on my 30 day permit or tag?
19) My doctor says I'm permanently handicapped, why do I have to re-certify for handicap privileges?
20) Why do I pay taxes on my leased vehicle when I'm in the military?
21) I am in the military but a Kansas resident, do I pay taxes on my vehicle?
22) I own businesses in several counties in Kansas, where do I register my vehicle?
23) I am active duty military but, the vehicle is in my wife's name, do I have to pay taxes on the vehicle?
24) Do I have to get a Kansas driver's license if I have Kansas plates?
25) Do I have to register my vehicle if I am going to sell it?
County Treasurers Association
Copyright © 2000 Kansas County Treasurers Association, All Rights Reserved